Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Terra Nova

I will admit that I love the Sci-fi genre. So when I heard of this television show being brought to us by Steven Spielberg, I became very excited. Add to that, this summer brought us the amazing Falling Skies, and I get even more excited. Now comes opening night and while it may not have lived up to all of the hype, it did not totally disappoint.

For those of you who do not remember, this show was a year behind schedule because they wanted to perfect some special effects. I completely understand, as with a show like this, the CGI effects can make or break the show. In this case the end result is completely mixed. On one hand, the effects can be completely breath taking. On the other hand, there were times that they looked like they came from a syfy channel original disaster movie.

Some early reviews have criticized the show for being unoriginal and not being enough like the amazingly original Lost. I for one completely disagree with this notion. If the show went with the crazy Lost type storyline, would it really be that original? While the show goes with the pretty standard story lines such as family conflict, rebellious son meets a group and an attractive girl, puts his life in danger and must be rescued, the show works and I have a strong feeling this show has more original things up it's sleeves. I actually like the idea of being eased into the mystery of this place and this time porthole. I for one am looking forward to the adventure, and look forward to the show growing on us all.

GRADE: B

No comments:

Post a Comment